Unwanted Puppies and Kittens is an ongoing problem. Every year thousands of puppies and kitten are dumped and euthanased from unwanted litters.
Desexing is a day surgery which involves a general anaesthetic. Your pet is to have all food taken away from 10pm the night before but water can be left with your pet overnight. You bring your pet to the Hospital between 8:00am – 8:30am on the day. Your pet has a check over with a veterinarian to check the health of your animal and discuss the options of the surgery.
Your pet is administered a sedative and pain relief prior to surgery and also intravenous fluids are administered during the anaesthetic. Once surgery is completed and your pet is recovering, a pain relief injection is given and you are notified when your pet is available to be picked up, usually after 3pm.
The cost of the surgery includes a health check prior to surgery, the anaesthetic, sedative, pain relief, fluids, surgery, and a consultation 10 days after the surgery to have stitches removed and the surgery site checked.
** In unforeseen circumstances (e.g emergencies and complications), your pet may have to stay overnight.
To assist your pet in a healthy recovery from surgery it is helpful to :
• Provide clean, dry bedding in a quiet place. Due to the anaesthetic, your pet may be tired for 1-2 days.
• Provide your pet with a small evening meal of about half the normal quantity. Some patients may not eat after surgery. Always supply clean fresh water.
• Please keep your pet quiet for 4-5 days, as this will reduce swelling and the reaction to the sutures.
• Please check the wound daily for any abnormalities such as excessive swelling, discharge or missing sutures. If your pet is chewing or licking at the sutures excessively, we may need to put a special collar on them to prevent them from irritating or removing the sutures.
• Your pet cannot get wet for 10 days as water can get into the surgery site and cause an infection, this includes bathing and going to the beach.
• The sutures are to be removed in 10 days after the surgery. Please phone the Hospital for an appointment to arrange this.
• If there are any problems after the surgery, such as vomiting or problems with the wound, please do not hesitate to phone us on 07 4922 8138.
Thank-you and all the best.